Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Heart Mushrooms, Gnomes and Fairy Gardens...and Kitschen Clowns!

Oil Can Fairy Gardens...
I kind of went overboard this weekend on the fairy garden front...but Hobby Lobby had these really cute rusty oil cans in their "Man Cave" department...and they were 50% off!  I have wanted to make a fairy garden for some time.  I collected a bunch of ideas on my "I Heart Mushrooms, Gnomes & Fairy Garden" board on Pinterest, but just couldn't seem to settle on anything...until I found the cans.  Normally I would have used old coffee cans, but that would have required trolling the aisles of every antique store for reasonably priced rusty cans...and you know how lazy I am...lol!  I saw the perfect can in a cool store in Boulder City, Nevada, but they wanted $75 for it...so Hobby Lobby got my money this week.

 My first can...I liked how it turned out, so I went back and bought a few more.
The mushrooms are tart pans and sticks.

The gnomes are cake toppers...Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.
I bought them from one of my bloggie buddies.

This can uses a Christmas ornament I've had for a few years

I thought Quaker State would be a good match for this gnome.

Snow White finds a wheel barrow full of "poison apples."

She doesn't look all that intelligent...she may eat them.

By the fourth oil can, I was running out of ideas, but there is a cute deer hidden in the weeds.

Steel Days Inspired...Kitchen Clown!
I found this clown's head in my pal Paula's booth at Treasures Antiques and stuck it
on one of the tins I painted for mushrooms.

Daughter Sascha said this tin would be perfect.

More circus figures from Paula.
Spice tins and a glue gun...it's starting to come together.

Come one, come all!  It's a Kitschen Klown!

Hope you're having a crafty week!
I've had a lot a fun with all this nonsense...lol!


15 comments:

Carmen said...

I love these whimsical creations! :-)

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

OH I love love these Shirtley!! You did such a wonderful and cute job! Love the mushrooms and the snow white crew...what a great idea! :) Have a lovely day! Just looking at those should bring a smile! ;) xo Holly

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Cute as can be, Shirley! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby around here. I think there's only a couple in all of MN. I love the cans, and the gnomes have found a perfect little home!
Erica :)

Pollyanna said...

I adore all of these .... such cute mushrooms ... I am making some for my Christmas Tree for Festival of Trees this year, we are doing a Alice in Wonderland theme, so perfect, thanks for the idea. Also adore the kitschen klown!! Adorable!! You never, no never, cease to amaze me with your creativity!! LOVE!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

The timing of this post is PERFECT! I have to drop off Emma at the High School this evening for marching band practice and there is a Hobby Lobby near by. These are absolutely brilliant. I love everything about these wonderful creations. I must share this post with my Mom and sister.

Unknown said...

Shirley!
I just adore these...the "mushrooms" are so stinking cute! You are so creative my friend...:)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those cans are just perfect for your fairy gardens! I wish the store was closer...I would get one, too. These are just the cutest that I've seen! Have fun my friend! Hugs, Diane

Anonymous said...

Fun, fun, fun! ♥

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

You are very CREATIVE and they are so SWEET/CUTE!
They make me smile!
warmly,
deb

Lynn said...

hi Shirley,
Your fairy gardens look great and I am glad you found a good use for Snow White and the dwarfs!! I must confess, clowns scare me! He is creative and kinda cute but still not a clown fan! Silly isn't it!!!
Have a blessed week!
Hugs,
Lynn

Jenny's Heart said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE them! So cute, fun and creative!

Tammy's in Love said...

That clown head on the tart tin and spring is adorable! What a great idea to use the measuring spoons! A+ for creativity!

Margaret said...

What I love about your posts is that you are having the BEST time! Your enjoyment just jumps off the computer! Those are some of the coolest crafts I have seen lately. Maggie

LBP said...

I really, really hate clowns but your clown craft is just adorable. I am loving all your gnomes and mushrooms!

Linda

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my gosh Shirley, these are just adorable! I may just need to see if they have any of these cans left. Each one you created is just darn cute! Love your whimsical clown décor too!
hugs,
Jann